Butter chicken has always seemed incredibly complicated to make, and consulting classic butter chicken recipes now and then didn’t do much to convince me otherwise. So, I challenged myself to create a butter chicken recipe that would be even easier to make than spaghetti sauce!
This recipe is also the beginning of a first set of clips that, I hope, will simplify your cooking!
- ServesServes 4-6
- Prep time20 min
- Cook time2 hours
- FreezingFreezes well
- 2 lb boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
For the spices
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry paste
- Seeds of 1 cardamom pod, ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- Generous pinch of salt
The wet ingredients
- 5.5 oz (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a bowl, combine all the spices and set aside. In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and set aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and soften the onion for 10 minutes. Add the salt, garlic, and spices and cook for 2–3 more minutes.
- In a food processor, process the onion and Greek yogurt until smooth. Season.
- In a pan, melt the rest of the butter. Add the onion mixture and the liquid ingredients. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add the chicken, and simmer for 1.5–2 hours. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over basmati rice. I like to garnish the dish with fresh cilantro.
Tips & tricks
Watch me cook this recipe:
Click here to see the clip (in French only)