Carrot upside-down pineapple cake
This is the official launch of our 5-year anniversary celebratory week! I decided to combine two of my favourite cakes: carrot cake + upside-down pineapple cake. The blend of flavours is incredible!
Ceramic artist: Goye
- Serves8 - 10
- Prep time30 mins
- Cook time50 - 60 min
- Timeout2 hours
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 pineapple, peeled, corred and sliced in 1″ pieces (or pre-sliced from a can)
- 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of crushed pineapple (canned)
- 1 cup of carrots, grated
- ½ cup of Grenoble walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup of 35 % whipping cream
- ¾ cup of white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and place the rack at the centre of it. Line a 9’’ springform pan with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar and butter in a bowl, then pour into the mould. Add the pineapple slices, then set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Dig a small hole in the centre then set aside.
- Mix the vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and crushed pineapple in another bowl, then pour into the dry ingredients hole you prepped in the previous step. Whisk this mix while adding the dry ingredients, then add the shredded carrots and Grenoble nuts. Pour the mix into the mould atop the pineapples.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the centre clean, then let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Heat the cream over medium heat then add the chocolate chips. Remove from heat, then let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk to melt the chocolate, then refrigerate until the cream is cooled. Whisk the cream until it’s whipped stiffly.
- Turn the cake over onto a plate, then top with the whipped cream and your preferred toppings.
Tips & tricks
Can be kept for 2 days at room temperature, or 5 days in the refrigerator.