Chocolate fondant cake with almonds & olive oil
My love for olive oil is no longer a surprise to anybody who knows me. The La belle excuse olive oil bottles have been on my kitchen counters since the very beginning of Trois fois par jour.
Using a good olive oil changes everything in a recipe. Truly. And I do realize that not everybody can afford using it on a daily basis. At least, that’s what I’m told regularly.
What can be done in this case, is to only use it when it’s truly in the spotlight in a recipe, like in a vinaigrette perhaps. I might be repeating myself, but it does make a world’s difference.
I’ll be sharing a few recipes this week, in which the La belle excuse oils would be delicious if used. Our first one is this chocolate fondant made with black olive oil, but it is just as good when made with green olive oil ;).
- Serves4 to 6 Portions
- Prep time20 min
- Cook time25 min
- Timeout30 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 1/4 cup of almond powder
- 1 1/2 cup (225 g) of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup of « La Belle Excuse »’s black olive oil
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- Sprinkle the almond powder onto a baking sheet, then roast under the grill. Let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and place the rack at the center of it. Grease a 9” round cake mould, then set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in either in a double-boiler or the micro-wave, then add the olive oil and set aside.
- Whisk the brown sugar and eggs in a bowl until the mix has doubled in volume (approx. 2 minutes)
- Add the almond powder and stir softly. Add the melted chocolate then stir again softly.
- Pour into the mould and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for minimum 15 minutes, then serve with fresh ice cream or fresh cream.