Savoury leek pie with Parmesan crust
The past two weeks were quite busy for us. Alex and I spent lots of time working on the book—which was released in September 2014—and I think we underestimated the amount of work it would involve.
I spent many days cooking and many evenings (and some late nights) editing and revising my recipes to make sure everything was clear. I never stopped telling myself that all mistakes were unacceptable, because after a couple thousand books were printed, it’d be too late to change anything, unlike on the blog, where I can easily make corrections.
Despite the stress, it was a wonderful experience. Day by day, Alex and I saw our efforts come to fruition. We devoted ourselves to the project and became such good partners, that I’m ready to embark on another (next time, though. we’ll make sure to plan enough time for it!)
After submitting everything, I took a week off cooking. I relaxed, and it felt great to take time out for myself. But after the fifth day I was eager to get back into the kitchen, and today, I’m posting the recipe that was simmering in my mind during my vacation. I made it as soon as I got back into the swing of things, and it’s a hit!
- ServesServes 8–10
- Prep time25 min
- Cook time45 min
- Timeout20 min
- FreezingFreezes well
For the Parmesan crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Replacement optionsor vegetable broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 red apple, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, Parmesan, salt, and butter together until crumbly. Add water gradually, until the texture resembles dough.
- Refrigerate for 15–20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a pan, melt the butter and soften the leek for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Season generously.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer until reduced completely. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, eggs, and milk. Season.
- Add the leek, mix well, and pour into the pie dish.
- Top with apple slices and bake for 25 minutes.