Smoked salmon, avocado & beet crostini with whipped cream
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought it might be fun to come up with an easy-to-prepare menu dedicated to men (or women) who don’t cook very often. I designed a menu with recipes that have three steps or less, so you don’t need to be a whiz in the kitchen to cook them.
The idea came to me during a serious conversation with my boyfriend.
Marilou: I’d love it if you cooked me something for Valentine’s Day.
Marilou: Don’t be so enthusiastic…
Alex: You’ll be disappointed. All I can make is toast.
Marilou: Sounds good to me.
Marilou: Yup, but just wait till you see the toast recipe I’ve got for you!
- ServesServes 2
- Prep time10 min
- Cook time-
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 avocado, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Replacement optionsor lime juice
- 2 tablespoons pickled beets, finely diced
- 2 slices white bread
Replacement optionsor bread of your choice
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- Salt and pepper
For the whipped cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon store-bought horseradish (sold in a jar) *Optional, but highly recommended
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, whip all the whipped cream ingredients until the texture is smooth. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl, combine the avocado, chives, and lemon juice. Season. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, toast the bread and top with the whipped cream, smoked salmon, avocado mixture, and beets.