Hot chocolate is like spaghetti sauce: everyone thinks their recipe is the BEST.
Some people like it bitter, sweet, thick, or liquid, and others love it buried under a pile of marshmallows, or just plain and simple. I think it all comes down to personal taste, which is why I wanted to create a solid basic recipe and then suggest a ton of different ways to personalize it.
My favourite flavour is orange. It reminds me of the orange-flavoured chocolate my dad used to buy me after school.
- ServesYields 1 cup
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time5 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1.5 oz 70% dark chocolate (I use 4 squares of a Lindt chocolate bar)
- 2 drops vanilla extract
Choose a flavour
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (my favourite)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Espelette pepper
Topping ideas (optional)
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- In a mug, heat up the milk in the microwave.
- Add the chocolate, vanilla extract, and your choice of flavouring. Let sit for a few seconds and stir until texture is smooth. Add some water if it’s too thick.
- Serve with the topping of your choice.