Oatmeal, chocolate & peanut butter crunchy bars
Photo credit: Dana Dorobantu
The perfect go-to snack when the afternoon munchies hit. You can keep these in the fridge or freezer and just take them out a few minutes before enjoying them.
- ServesYields 16
- Prep time20 mins
- Cook time6 mins
- Timeout4 hours
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of large oatmeal flakes (old-fashioned or quick oats)
- 2 A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Line a 9’’ square pan with parchment paper, while making sure every side is covered then set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium-sized pot along with the brown sugar and vanilla until the brown sugar dissolves entirely.
- Add the oatmeal flakes, cinnamon and salt then bake for 4 to 5 minutes while stirring continuously. Press the oatmeal into the square pan and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in either in a double boiler or the microwave along with the peanut butter then pour onto the oatmeal. Refrigerate for 4 hours then slice into bars.
Tips & tricks
Can be frozen. Keeps for 5 days in the refrigerator and for 3 months in the freezer.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018