Prunes & apples squares
While date squares are already well known, I decided to switch things up during apple season and revamped an old classic with apples and prunes.
It’s surprising, and I’ve made it with ingredients that I had in my pantry already, therefore they should all be easily accessible.
- Serves9 small
- Prep time30 min
- Cook time40 min
- Timeout30 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
Crumble & crust
- 1 cup of butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup of oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Apple & prune filling
- 4 cups of apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup of prunes, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven at 350 °F with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchemin paper, then set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the crumble and the crust then blend until it starts to form a ball.
- Press half the crust into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While this bakes in a pot on medium heat, bake all the apple & prune filling ingredients for 8 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the pan onto the baked crust, then cover with the other half of the crust without pressing on it. Bake for another 25 minutes, or till the crust is golden.
- Let cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving.