Chocolate & almond Baklava
Photo credit: Dana Dorobantu
This dessert is crunchy and oh-so yummy, it’s even one of my favourites. You can almost taste the Middle East with every bite. Haha!
- Prep time30 mins
- Cook time15 - 20 mins
- Timeout30 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 1/2 cup of raw almonds
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of rose water (optional)
- 6 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
- 200g of dark chocolate, chopped
- 8 Phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- A drizzle of honey
- A few chopped almonds
- A few rosebuds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the rack at the centre of it. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Blend the almonds and honey, in a blender along with the cinnamon, egg yolk, vanilla, rose water and butter until a dough forms. Add the dark chocolate and blend again until it is chopped finely. Set aside.
- Using a clean work surface, line up 2 phyllo pastry sheets vertically above one another while overlapping them about an inch wide. Then baste with melted butter. Keep doing this with all the phyllo sheets.
- Garnish the top of the phyllo sheet with the almond-chocolate mix then roll them up tightly. Cut that roll into 3 equal parts, then lay onto the baking sheet side-by-side. Baste with butter then cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the dough is golden.
- Serve topped with honey, chopped almonds and rosebuds.
Tips & tricks
Cannot be frozen. Keeps for 2 days at room temperature or for 5 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018