Who hasn’t heard of Bear Paw cookies, which every kid got in their lunch box at least once over the years? (Here in Quebec, anyhow).
I remember that when I was young there were two groups: the kids that liked Bear Paws and the kids that hated them. It goes without saying that I was part of the first group (although maple leaf cream cookies were my real favourite), and ever since then I’ve loved molasses.
I’m with my mom right now, and she wants to give a shout out to Goglu cookie lovers. (The name alone makes me feel sick, but apparently they’re good!)
- ServesYields 6 cookies (can be easily doubled)
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time15 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and molasses until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar and egg and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Pour the sugar onto a plate.
- Shape 6 balls (1/4 cup each) and roll in sugar. Place the balls on the baking sheet and press gently with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.