Cumin, tomato & lentil casserole
Here is a gourmet vegetarian recipe for 6 people that won’t bust your budget. Most often, meals can be put together at a low cost if you stretch your imagination just a bit.
Photo credit : Dana Dorobantu
- Prep time20 mins
- Cook time40 mins
- Timeout1 hour
- FreezingFreezes well
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups of butternut squash, diced
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 box (540 ml) of lentils, rinsed and strained
- 1 (796 ml) can of diced tomatoes
- Salt & pepper, as preferred
- 6 Eggs
- Pita bread
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large non-stick pan then brown the onion, diced squash and spices and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, lentils and diced tomatoes then season. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes to soften the tomatoes and squash.
- Dig 6 holes through the lentils and crack an egg in each hole. Season then cover and cook for 10 minutes or until desired.
- Serve with warm pita bread.
Tips & tricks
Cannot be frozen. Keeps for 3 days in the refrigerator.