Barley & cabbage braised duck legs
Here’s a lovely recipe that is easy to make when you entertaining in your home. You simply put all the ingredients in one pot, put it in the oven, and you’re done! While it cooks, the duck’s fat goes to the barley and it’s all the more delicious.
It’s a different way to eat duck legs, as we are all familiar with duck confit, but not with this recipe.
- Prep time30 min
- Cook time3 h
- Timeout5 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 3/4 cup of pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons of old-fashion mustard
- 4 quarters of savoy cabbage
- 4 nantes carrots, cut in halves length wise
- 1 yellow onion, cut in 6 quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 juniper berries, crushed
- 2 laurel leaves
- 2 fresh rosemary twigs
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 4 Brome lake duck legs, with its extra fat
- Preheat oven at 350°F, adjust rack to the middle of the oven.
- In a large skillet, add all ingredients and top with the duck legs.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 2 ½ hours, then remove cover and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the legs are golden.