Avocado, tomato & bread salad
I can’t believe some people still think that “salad” is synonymous with “diet” or “boring meal”. As a big fan of this dish, I’ll stand in its defence and prove that there are a ton of ways to make incredible salads that will make you forget the days of soggy lettuce.
This recipe is an original way to use bread, along with the traditional tomato-avocado combo. It’s ready in no time and requires minimal clean-up. *Sound of angels singing*
It’s perfect for lunch or as a side dish. In both cases, make it ahead and only add the bread when ready to serve.
- ServesServes 2
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time20 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 ciabatta baguette
Replacement optionsor bread of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 20 cherry tomatoes of various colours
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Leaves of your favourite fresh herbs (basil, mint, fennel, cilantro)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Using your hands, rip the bread into large chunks. Place in a bowl and add 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and fennel seeds. Season well.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the bread is nice and crispy.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and put in a salad bowl. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and the remaining ingredients. Season well.
- Add the bread to the tomato mixture. Stir well and garnish with your choice of fresh herbs and a dash of olive oil.
Tips & tricks
Anchovy paste is sold in a tube and can easily be found in any grocery store.