ORZO, ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS & BACON SALAD WITH ALMOND BUTTER VINAIGRETTE
Like everyone, I used to hate Brussels sprouts when I was little. I found them dry and bitter and would do anything to avoid eating them when they were on the table. Gradually, I came to like them (they’re everywhere in stores now) and I have to admit I love them served with a smooth sauce, like this almond butter one.
Trust me—you’ve got to try this salad.
- ServesServes 4
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time15 min
- Timeout5 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, cut into quarters
- 4 slices bacon, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Replacement optionsor peanut oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, etc.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Replacement optionsor honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the orzo for 6–8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, bacon, and oil, and season generously. Transfer to a baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes or until roasted and tender. Let cool and transfer to a large salad bowl along with the orzo, apple cubes, and raisins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients together and pour over the salad. Adjust the seasoning and serve.