Roasted tomato & eggplant pizza
Eggplants are in season right now, so I wanted to have a bit of fun and mix things up. I made a kind of pizza (where the eggplants stand for the crust) and it’s absolutely delicious! It’s also a wonderful gluten-free or vegetarian option.
When they’re inseason, it’s possible to use any kind of eggplant. There are so many shapes and sizes out there, each more delicious than the other.
- Prep time30 min
- Cook time30 min
- Timeout5 mins
- FreezingNe se congèle pas.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced in 8 pieces of about 2 cm wide
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, as preferred
- 1 250g ball of Mozzarella di Bufala, pulled apart with your hands
- A few minced oregano leaves
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt & pepper, as preferred
- Preheat the oven at 400°F and place the rack at the center of it. Lay a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and layout the eggplant slices. Baste with olive oil then season generously. Set aside.
- In a baking bowl, add all the roasted tomato ingredients.
- Place both the baking sheet and bowl in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Spread the eggplants in 4 plates, then add a tomato to each slice. Crush the tomatoes lightly, to get some juice flowing, then top with remaining ingredients. Season then serve.