I decided to make rillettes for two reasons: first, to make good use of the salmon leftovers I had, and second, to try to recreate one of my favourite sushi flavours: cream cheese with salmon and smoked salmon.
As far as I’m concerned, it’s mission accomplished! I’m even thinking of turning them into spring rolls by rolling the rillettes and some vermicelli into a rice wrap and cutting the roll like sushi. I think it could be very good.
I’ll keep you posted…
- ServesYields about 2 cups
- Prep time10 min
- Cook time15 min
- Timeout1 hour
- FreezingFreezes well
- 14 oz fresh salmon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 4.5 oz smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Season the salmon and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with lemon juice and bake for 12–15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, garlic, dill, and chives. Using a hand blender or stand mixer, purée the mixture.
- Flake the cooked salmon and add to the puréed mixture. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or Mason jar and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Stores well in the refrigerator or freezer.