Bamboo sprouts, Shiitakes & tofu sweet & sour soup
Photo credit: Dana Dorobantu
This asian cuisine classic is flavourful and hearty. The shiitakes add just the right amount of punch to it, it’s delicious !
- Prep time15 mins
- Cook time1 hour 10 mins
- Timeout30 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 6 cups of beef broth
- 2 packs (14 g each) of dried and chopped shiitakes
- 1/4 cup of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (or of Sriracha sauce)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Salt & pepper, as preferred
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, diluted into 3 tbsps of cold water
- 1/2 bloc (454 g) of semi-firm tofu, diced
- 1 box (199 ml) of bamboo sprouts, rinsed and strained
- 2 cups of baby spinach (or of Bok Choy leaves)
- 1/4 cup of green onions, minced on an angle
- Combine all the broth ingredients in a pot, apart from the cornstarch. Bring to a boil and reduce heat then simmer for an hour.
- Bring to a boil again, then add the diluted cornstarch in, whisk it all together. Stir until the soup thickens, then turn off the heat while leaving the pot on the stove.
- Add all the topping ingredients and let them warm up for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve.
Tips & tricks
Can be frozen. Keeps for 5 days in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018