Shrimp, salmon and coconut milk broth spicy soup
This soup is just the right amount of spicy and flavourful, but it’s also the perfect snack because it won’t make you feel too full. Go ahead and add any kind of vegetables you’d like as well.
- Prep time20 mins
- Cook time18 mins
- Timeout30 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 250 g of skinned salmon, sliced in 12 pieces
- 12 ready to eat shrimps, size 21-15
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of crushed chili peppers
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 cm of ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro seeds
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cans (398 ml each) of coconut milk
- 1 can (900 ml) of chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- ½ a box of wide rice vermicelli, cooked
- 2 shallots, minced
- A few fresh mint leaves, minced
- Marinate the salmon and shrinps with the lemon juice for 30 minutes in a bowl, at room temperature.
- Blend the chili pepper, garlic, ginger as well as the cilantro seed until it becomes a paste.
- Heat the sesame and vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the spice paste for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, salmon and shrimps then turn off the heat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Split the vermicelli into 4 bowls and pour the broth over them then add pieces of fish and shrimps and finish off with a few shallots and mint leaves.
Tips & tricks
Can be frozen. Keeps for 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.