Here’s a dessert that’s a lot easier than it looks and that’ll keep in an airtight container for up to 10 days at room temperature.
I highly recommend you watch the video clip (in French only) before making the dessert, since the visual aid will help you follow the steps.
- ServesServes 24
- Prep time20 min
- Cook time35 min
- Timeout2 hours
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 tablespoons crushed pistachios, to garnish
For the syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 10-inch x 14-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In a food processor, powder the almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Brush butter on the first sheet of phyllo and cover with a second sheet. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and halve them lengthwise. You should have two rectangles of layered phyllo sheets.
- Place the first rectangle in the dish, sprinkle it with the nuts, and cover with the second rectangle. Brush with butter and cut into squares.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature and pour syrup over the baklava. Let stand for at least 2 hours. Garnish with crushed pistachios and serve.