Puffed rice chewy bars
I’ve probably made dozens of chewy bar recipes in my life, and they’ve almost always involved dates. People who don’t like the fruit as much as I do will be happy to see that this chewy bar recipe is made with puffed rice instead.
I promise to try this recipe with puffed quinoa and keep you posted.
- ServesYields 10–12 bars
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time-
- FreezingFreezes well
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
Replacement optionsor maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond butter
Replacement optionsor peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed rice
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line a 12-inch x 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (pan size does not really matter: it will only change the thickness of the bars). Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat up the syrup and almond butter.
- Transfer it to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients, apart from the chocolate chips.
- Stir well and press the mixture down in the pan.
- Spread with chocolate, trying as much as possible to incorporate it into the mixture. Let cool for a few minutes. The heat will melt the chocolate a little.
- Refrigerate for a few minutes or until completely cool.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.
Tips & tricks
For a nut-free version, try wowbutter.