Candied orange peel
Make sure you do Step 4 right—it’s crucial. If you think you can save time by not boiling the orange peel three times, you’re toast. That’s from the mouth of a fake chef (and therefore highly credible).
This peel is perfect for decorating cakes or cupcakes.
- ServesYields about 2 cups
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time30 min
- Timeout3 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 2 large Navel oranges
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup clear corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- Sugar, as needed
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wash the oranges thoroughly. Peel them and cut the peel into juliennes.
- Place the julienned peel in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil then drain.
- Repeat step 3 two other times, so you have boiled the orange peel three times in total. This step is very important because it removes bitterness. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring the sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil. Stir in the julienned orange peel and simmer for 12 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove orange peel from water, and transfer to the baking sheet. Let sit for 2–3 minutes.
- Roll each julienne in the sugar, coat well, and let cool completely on the parchment paper.