Carrot cake bites
I love carrot cake, but I hate the idea of making a recipe like this in the summer. And because there are only two mouths to feed at home—Alex’s & mine—I was looking for a way to get all the taste without so much cake.
So here’s my carrot cake bite recipe. It’s vegetarian and lactose-free. You can easily double the recipe.
- ServesYields 10 bites
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time10 min
- Timeout15 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Replacement optionsor other nut of your choice, or cranberries, or chocolate
For the dry ingredients
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
For the wet ingredients
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (for a lactose-free recipe)
Replacement optionsor melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds, water, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and walnuts. Mix well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into 10 balls and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet before serving.
Tips & tricks
I like to sprinkle them with icing sugar.
If you’re not lactose intolerant, try serving them with cream cheese, whipped with icing sugar.