HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY PIE
When I posted this little article to show you how to make pie crust, I got tons of requests for the filling. I don’t even know if I can call this a recipe because it’s so simple, but it’s a good start for making homemade pies.
If you’re used to pies like grandma used to make, you’ll find me pretty stingy with the sugar. I’m not big on desserts buried under a mountain of sugar. I really like the naturally sweet, tart flavour. There’s no need to camouflage it.
I’ve included a few ideas for filling flavours in case you want to change things up, but that’s totally up to you.
Just so you know, I’m currently working on a guide for freezing recipes, which should be available soon in our magazine section.
- ServesServes 8
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time45 min
- Timeout15-20 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 package store-bought or homemade pie pastry
- 1/4 cup cornstach
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 cups whole strawberries, hulled
Replacement optionsor other fruit of your choosing
Choisir une saveur
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Replacement optionsor lime zest
- Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Beans of 1/2 vanilla pod
- Large pinch of black or pink pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the first half of the dough into a greased 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and sugar. Add the strawberries and the flavour of your choosing (optional—it’s delicious as is).
- Pour the filling into the pie dish and refrigerate.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the second half of the pastry. Cover the pie. (Click here to see how I made the braided crust).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350˚F and bake for 30 more minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving so the filling can set properly.