Banana icing covered Cardamom donuts
- Serves10 donuts
- Prep time10 mins
- Cook time10 mins
- Timeout15 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 pack (8 g) of quick-rise yeast
- 1/4 cup of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 8 crushed cardamom beans
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Large vegetable oil filled pan or deep-fryer
- Banana icing (see recipe on page 85)
- Powdered sugar. for toppings
- Heat the milk in the microwave until just warm. Add the yeast and stir. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until they blanch. Add the cardamom, milk mixture, flour and salt then roll the dough into a ball. If the ball is sticky, add a bit of flour.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap, and set aside in a lukewarm environment (such as the oven, turned off with the light on) for at about 2 hours (or until the dough has doubled in size)
- Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface, knead the dough into a flat circle about 25 cm wide.
- Use a donut-shaped cookie cutter to cut out your donuts.
- Heat the fryer at 360°F.
- Fry a few donuts at a time for about 2 minutes, or until they are golden. Turn them halfway through.
- Cool the donuts lightly. Coat with banana icing, then sprinkle with powdered sugar
Tips & tricks
Donuts are best served within a few hours after baking.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018