Old-fashioned maple syrup pie with maple praline crust
- Serves1 large pie ou 12 tarts
- Prep time15 mins
- Cook time25 mins
- Timeout2 hours 10 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of pecans
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and crushed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Steps for the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the rack at the centre of it. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside.
- Pour the maple syrup into a pan and bring to a boil. Cook for a minute then add the nuts. Mix well then transfer to the baking sheet. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the nuts to a food processor and blend. Add the flour and melted butter and mix again. Spread the crust in a regular pie dish or a small tart dish then bake for 15 minutes.
- Steps for the pie: submerge the dates in warm water for 5 minutes. Then blend the dates and water as well as the syrup until smooth. Set aside.
- Dilute the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of water then pour into a pot with the syrup mix.
- Bring to a boil and bake for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Pour the mix onto the crust and let cool completely.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018