MINI PAVLOVAS & BLACKBERRY SYRUP
It was the colours that gave me the inspiration for combining these flavours, since I knew exactly how I wanted the picture to look. I found the combination of the unique colour of the blackberries and the brilliant white of the eggs very inspiring, not to mention, delicious.
I also thought this would be a great recipe to make over the holidays, which are just around the corner. It can get exhausting to eat all the time, so it’s a nice break to have a sweet, yet light dessert.
- ServesYields 10 mini pavlovas
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time60 min
- Timeout40 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 cup 1 cup whipped cream, homemade or store-bought (optional)
For the pavlovas
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstach
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the syrup
- 1 container fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small pot, heat the blackberries and maple syrup for 8 minutes. Using a masher or a fork, mash the mixture. Let cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a glass or a mason jar lid, trace 10 circles on the parchment paper. Flip the paper over so you can see the circles without the pavlovas touching the tracing. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the icing sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat together the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar while beating constantly.
- Add the vanilla extract and vinegar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Evenly divide the mixture into 10 nests on the parchment paper circles.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Turn the oven off. Open the oven door and let the pavlovas cool on the oven rack (about 30–40 minutes).
- Remove from the oven. Serve with whipped cream and blackberry syrup.