Pear & chocolate pie
Here’s a confession: I ate a whole pie like this to myself, in only a couple of days. I had it for breakfast and dinner, which was the best part. Pretty bad for a girl who preaches balance, but it was just so good.
It freezes well. 🙂
- ServesServes 8
- Prep time15 min
- Cook time30 min
- Timeout1 hour
- FreezingFreezes well
For the crust
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
For the filling
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 very ripe avocado
- 2 pears, peeled
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulverize the walnuts and the brown sugar as finely as possible. Add the powdered almonds and melted butter and blend until the texture resembles dough. Press the mixture into the pie dish and bake for 20–30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Using a hand blender, purée the dates and the avocado. Set aside.
- Place the pears and lemon juice in a bowl, cover, and microwave for 4 minutes.
- When the pears are cooked and really hot, add the chocolate chips and set aside while the chocolate melts.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour the mixture over the dates and mix well with a hand blender.
- Pour into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018