Mexican-style rice salad
One day, I didn’t feel like going out and I was starving (read: Alex was starving). I decided to make a simple salad with what I had in the fridge.
Three steps later, I had made a nutritious and delicious salad—to the delight of my boyfriend.
He loves to have it for lunch, while I like it for dinner as a side dish with baked fish..
- ServesServes 10
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time12 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 cup white rice
Replacement optionsor brown rice
- 12 oz (1 can, 341 ml) corn niblets
- 19 oz (1 can, 540 ml) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts (or more, to taste)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the vinaigrette
- Dash of vegetable oil
Replacement optionsor canola or peanut oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Let cool for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Season and transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the rice. Stir well. Adjust the seasoning and serve.