Tiny cheese stuffed Arancini
I won’t lie and say that we go around making arancinis at home all the time. First of all, who has “leftover risotto” and who “doesn’t know” what to do with it. In real life, when I make risotto, I eat it its entirety and I have no interest in transforming it.
BUT, when I think of all the family suppers coming up I really get motivated to make of big batch of these delectable bites and freeze them beforehand.
The bocconcini in the middle is exactly like a chocolate volcano. You bite into it and there’s an explosion of awesome. It’s amazing. You have to try it.
- Serves12 arancini
- Prep time25 mins
- Cook time10 mins
- Timeout10 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 3 cups of risotto, entirely cooled
- 1 container of 200 g (12 balls) of cocktail bocconcini
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs
Replacement optionsyour choice of breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil (for cooking)
- Roll-up ¾ cup of risotto in the palm of your hand and form a patty. Add bocconcini in the middle of it and wrap it with rice altogether, making a small ball. Repeat these steps until you get 12 balls and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Layout 3 different bowls on a work surface. Combine the flour and salt in the first bowl whisk the egg in the second and pour the breadcrumbs into the third. Pass each ball from the first to the second to the third, flour, egg then breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the rack at the centre of it.
- Pour 2.5 cm of vegetable oil in a large pot, then heat over high heat. Fry the arancini for 2 to 3 minutes on each side to brown them entirely. Continue baking for 5 to 6 minutes in the oven for the cheese to melt entirely.
Tips & tricks
– The arancini’s can be frozen before or after they are frozen. If you decide to freeze them beforehand, then simply fry them in the same way and bake them in the oven at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes. If you rather freeze them afterwards, you will then need to reheat them in the oven, at 350°F for 20 minutes. Do not unfreeze them before baking them.