Corn, bacon & kale chowder
When I organize a corn roast, I like to save a few ears of corn to make chowder the next day.
Since I’ve been drinking a lot of green juices lately, I had leftover kale and added it to my recipe.
Take advantage of corn season by cooking this rich and comforting dish.
- ServesServes 4
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time27 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 cup Spanish onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 potato, finely diced
- Kernels of 4 cobs corn (about 2 cups if using frozen corn)
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 15% or 35% cream
- Handful of kale, chopped
Replacement optionsor baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and soften the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bacon (save some to garnish), and broth. Season well and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and kale and simmer for 5 more minutes. Adjust the seasoning and garnish with bacon and kale.