Caramelized onions & cheesy chickpea hot-dogs
We’re kicking off this SuperBowl themed week with an unusual mix. A chickpea puree hot-dog topped with melted cheese. I know that it’s super trendy right now to take meaty meals and transform them into a vegetarian option, so this might not be as original as I thought. But I swear that it tastes fantastic.
- Serves12 hot-dogs
- Prep time10 mins
- Cook time20 mins
- Timeout10 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- 12 small buns, sliced in half, or 12 hot-dog buns
- 1 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
Replacement optionscheddar, or any other cheese
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
Replacement optionshoney, sugar
- 1 can (540 ml) of chickpeas, strained
- 1/4 cup of 35% cream
- 1 lemon’s juice
Replacement optionslime juice
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
- Salt & pepper, as preferred
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Caramelized onions: Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and then add the onion and maple syrup. Cook for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Chickpea puree: Blend all the chickpea ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Hot-dogs: Top every bun with a bit of puree and onions then garnish with the grated cheese. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes then broil until the cheese is golden.