Cream of asparagus with crab meat topping
For Mother’s Day, I tried to make a fantastic cream of asparagus recipe while following only three rules:
1. Season between each and every step. There’s nothing worse than a bland soup. Seasoning makes all the difference, so don’t be scared to be generous with the salt and pepper. They only cost pennies, but your guests’ expressions will say everything about how delicious the resulting soup is.
2. For best results, use a powerful food processor. Recently, my Vitamix was dethroned by another blender, The Boss, by Breville, which I won in a Mother’s Day contest, and I’m still in shock…
3. Add asparagus towards the end of cooking time and let it simmer for no more than three minutes. You just want to blanch it till it turns bright green (not brown).
- ServesServes 8–10 (appetizer servings)
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time30 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig parsley
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1/3 de cup cooking cream, to taste
Replacement optionsor 5% dairy blend for diabetics
- 1-2 cup crab meat, to garnish
Replacement optionsor lobster meat
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and soften the onion and potato. Season.
- Add the parsley and broth and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Season again.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Transfer to a blender, add the cream, and season again. Blend, and serve with lobster or crab meat.