Green pea, spinach & avocado soup
I like soups for a ton of reasons: they’re comforting, they can be made in large batches, and they freeze well. I also love them because they’re versatile; the same soup recipe can just as well be served on a casual Monday night as at a fancy dinner. All you need to do is change the garnish and serve it in a fancier bowl.
Instead of using cream for a smooth soup, I added an avocado right before blending all ingredients together. It gave my soup a nice thick and creamy texture, and it’s very nutritious.
- ServesServes 4
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time30-35 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large very ripe avocado
- A few basil leaves, to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the onion until soft. Season well, add the garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes or until they turn bright green.
- Add the spinach and let soften. Season.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor, purée with avocado. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
Tips & tricks
There’s nothing worse than a soup with too little seasoning. My secret? I season between each step of the recipe. The result is always perfect.