Watch the video
Lentils are a legume low in fat and rich in plant protein. Vegetarians love them and, contrary to popular belief, they’re really easy to cook.
- ServesServes 6-8
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time35 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 can coconut milk
- Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Pour water in a pot and add the lentils. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Season and set aside.
- In a pan, melt the butter and cook the onion for 3–4 minutes or until soft.
- Season and add ginger, garlic, and curry powder. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the lime juice and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula. Transfer the mixture to the pot with the lentils and add the remaining ingredients, apart from the cilantro.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, adjust the seasoning, and serve with cilantro.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018