Chocolate & pistachio-covered saltine brittle
I wish the holidays would never end. This time of year always brings back waves of treasured memories that give me the inspiration for so many recipes.
I remember winter evenings when my dad would spread saltines with peanut butter and slices of cheese. We’d eat them watching television, tucked in underneath my purple blanket. The more rows of saltines we ate, the funnier we thought we were.
I wanted to make the recipe a bit more sophisticated and make it into the perfect dessert to give as a gift.
- ServesYields 25–30 bites
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time5 min
- Timeout2 hours
- FreezingFreezes well
- 20-25 saltines
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 3.5 oz chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
Replacement optionsnoix de votre choix, cannes en bonbon écrasées, noix de coco râpée,
- Line a 10-inch x 14-inch baking dish with plastic wrap.
- Cover the bottom with saltines. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Add the chocolate and vanilla extract and melt. If using the microwave, heat the mixture in 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Pour the chocolate over the saltines.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and refrigerate for 2 hours or until the chocolate is hard.
- Remove from the dish and shatter using the handle of a wooden spoon.