No bake chocolate yule log, with rice krispies & avocado
I’ve been dreaming of posting a Yule log recipe that is extraordinary for you guys, and I can tell you I am quite proud of this one. I think I can honestly say it’s in my top 5 2016 recipes.
The recipe is gluten-free, lactose-free, egg-free and nut-free (if you exclude the pistachios), so this can be a feast for everyone!
I highly recommend you watch the web video to help visualize the steps for putting this recipe together. The hardest part is the rolling, but you’ll see that an imperfect result is the perfect result!
- Serves12 - 15
- Prep time30 mins
- Cook time30 mins
- Timeout1 hour
- FreezingFreezes well
- 4 cups of rice krispies
- 1 cup of Medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup (2 x 100g chocolate tablets) of 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 6 very ripe avocados
- 1 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of maple syrup
- 2/3 de cup (2 100g chocolate tablets) of 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup of crushed pistachios
- Cocoa powder
- White & milk chocolate flakes
- Line a 13” x 18” baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour the Rice Krispies into a bowl. Set aside.
- Blend the dates with the chocolate and the coconut oil until smooth. Pour onto the rice Krispies then stir until well-combined.
- Spread the mix onto the whole baking sheet, and press down. Set aside.
- Blend all the frosting ingredient until well-combined and smooth. Spread half the mix onto the baking sheet and keep the other half in the refrigerator.
- Roll the cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle with pistachios, cocoa powder and chocolate flakes, then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Slice to serve.
Tips & tricks
The log can be frozen without the icing. You can thus make it a while ahead of time and then prepare the frosting on the day you need it, which will take approximately 3 minutes. You’ll need 30 minutes to thaw the cake.