People often ask me for my strawberry jam recipe, but despite all my attempts, I’ve never managed to make one that was up to my high standards, or, more importantly, better than my strawberry compote.
Our grandmothers’ traditional jam recipes are usually crammed with sugar, and I’ve always found them sickeningly sweet. .
This compote is delicious on a slice of bread, in a smoothie, or on a vanilla cupcake with chocolate sauce—especially at this time of year.
- ServesYields 1 cup
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time15 min
- FreezingNe se congèle pas.
- 8 cups fresh local strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pass the strawberry mixture through a sieve to remove as much liquid as possible. Pour into the blender.
- Purée and refrigerate before serving.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018