White port & dried fruit sauce meatball stew
- Serves8-10 people
- Prep time45 min
- Cook time3 hours 15 minutes
- Timeout5 mins
- FreezingFreezes well
- Vegetable oil, to cook
- Butter, to cook
- 2 quarts of white mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 kg of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, chopped
- 4 twigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 kg of pork shoulder, cut in 2 cm wide dices
- 1/2 cup of chorizo, diced
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of white port
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of pitted and chopped prunes
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 laurel leaves
- 1/2 cup of cream 35%
- Preheat the oven at 300°F.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Make 36, 1 inch wide meatballs. Then set aside.
- In a slow cooker, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil then sear the pork dices without manipulating them too much thus getting a nice golden color. Add the chorizo, onions and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the flour, stir together then deglaze with the white port.
- Add the remaining stew ingredients.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan then sear the meatballs. Add them to the stew.
- In that same pan, heat another tablespoon of butter then sear the mushrooms. Add them to the stew.
- Cook in the oven for 3 hours, then serve with fresh parsley.
Recipe published on August 19, 2018