Jam-filled yogurt & strawberry muffins
OK, wow—I just made what is now my new favourite muffin recipe EVER with ingredients that were sitting in my fridge and getting close to their expiration date: yogurt, years-old jam, soft strawberries, and half a lemon that had begun to dry out. #yummy
Can you imagine how amazing these muffins would be if you made them with fresh ingredients? For this recipe, I strongly recommend you use fresh strawberries, but if you’re using frozen, let them reach room temperature before dicing.
- ServesYields 12 muffins
- Prep time10 min
- Cook time25-30 min
- Timeout10 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam, store-bought or homemade
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (I use Oikos)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients. Stir well. Add the strawberries, but gently mash them first using your fingers. Stir as little as possible to avoid the muffins becoming dense or tough.
- Fill 1/4 of each liner with batter. Add a small spoonful of jam and top with the leftover batter.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes. Let cool before serving.