Oatmeal & apple muffins
Using applesauce is a great way to cut the carbs and butter in a recipe without sacrificing taste.
For comparison, 1 cup of sugar yields 212 grams of carbohydrates and 818 calories, while 1 cup of unsweetened store-bought applesauce has only 29 grams of carbohydrates and 108 calories.
This trick can be used in any muffin recipe by replacing the oil or butter with an equal quantity of applesauce.
- ServesYields 8 muffins
- Prep time10 min
- Cook time20 min
- FreezingFreezes well
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir.
- Add the diced apple, mix well, and pour the batter into the liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes.