Homemade vanilla extract
Even when they’re dry and empty, you can reuse your vanilla bean pods by putting them in a bottle of oil or your sugar jar, for example, to make them fragrant.
Wanting to reuse my empty vanilla bean pods was what led me to make my own homemade vanilla extract. Not only is it a thousand times better, but I can assure you that it’s way cheaper than buying it at the grocery store.
- ServesServes 1
- Prep time5 min
- Cook time-
- FreezingFreezes well
- 10 vanilla pods, halved lengthwise
- Dark rum, as needed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place the vanilla beans in a jar and cover halfway with dark rum. Add brown sugar.
- Seal the jar and let it infuse for two months at room temperature.
- Every once in a while, you can add a bit of each of the ingredients and swap out an old bean for a fresh one.